Theme Guidelines for Restless
We are seeking work from LGBTQ authors for publication during this year’s Pride Month. Stories do not necessarily need to be about the LGBTQ experience, but they can be. Deadline is April 30.
We will do our best to respond to all submissions by mid-May.
Submit your best short stories, poems, visual art, photography, or hybrid work to the Pride Month category on Submittable. Please include a brief cover letter that indicates which genre best fits your work along with a third-person bio.
Our general submission guidelines apply, so please read them. They’re right here, below this sentence.
General Guidelines for Restless
We are currently accepting submissions of untamed literature with an edge on a rolling basis for our new e-zine Restless. Think prose that makes you want to get up and walk across the country, characters that make you want to shout at the pages in front of you, settings that make you want to run through them.
- prose under 750 words, three stories per submission
- poems one page or less, three poems per submission
- longer works like novellas and epic poems to be serialized (think 5,000 to 10,000 range, but there are no strict limits for this category)
- things that defy convention and labels–stories that contain poems, audio/visual work, etc. (keep these short unless you want them to be serialized, in which case submit to the Serial category)
- visual art/photography/comics, color or b&w, five pieces per submission
- postcard lit — send us your handmade postcards, with or without a poem or story written on the back, or mail us a postcard from an interesting place in the world with a poem or story inspired by the image(s) featured on the front
Postcards should be mailed to Wild Age Press at PO Box 6665, Pittsburgh, PA 15212. We will scan our favorite postcards and publish them in our e-zine. If you would like your postcard returned, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage. Please include an email address for a reply. Alternately, scan your work and submit it to the Miscellany category on Submittable.
All other submissions have to go through Submittable. Any submissions emailed or mailed to us will be discarded unread (except postcard lit).
A brief cover letter containing a third-person bio and the genre of your submission is encouraged. Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please withdraw your piece immediately using Submittable if it is accepted elsewhere (and congratulations!). Multiple submissions are NOT okay. Please wait to hear back from us before submitting more work.
We will do our best to respond to submissions within one month. If you haven’t heard from us after a month, you may query editor [at] wildagepress.com on the status of your submission.