Theme Guidelines for Restless
We are seeking work from LGBTQ authors for publication during this year’s Pride Month. We really want to fill our digital space with your voices, so submissions to this category are free. Stories do not necessarily need to be about the LGBTQ experience, but they can be. Deadline is April 30.
We will do our best to respond to all submissions by mid-May.
Submit your best short stories, poems, visual art, photography, or hybrid work to the Pride Month category on Submittable. Please include a brief cover letter that indicates which genre best fits your work along with a third-person bio.
Our general submission guidelines apply, so please read them. They’re right here, below this sentence.
General Guidelines for Restless
We are currently accepting submissions of untamed literature with an edge on a rolling basis for our new e-zine Restless. We are especially looking for submissions that fit within the broadly defined themes of restlessness, recklessness, and/or wildness. Think prose that makes you want to get up and walk across the country, characters that make you want to shout at the pages in front of you, settings that make you want to run through them.
- prose under 750 words, one story per submission
- poems one page or less, one poem per submission
- visual art, color or b&w, one piece per submission
- photography, color or b&w, one photo per submission
- comics, color or b&w, one comic per submission
- audio less than 2 minutes, one file per submission (use the miscellany category)
- video less than 2 minutes (query first) — could be micro-documentaries, short films, abstract art, etc., as long as they fit our theme
- postcard lit — send us your handmade postcards, with or without a poem or story written on the back, or mail us a postcard from an interesting place in the world with a poem or story inspired by the image(s) featured on the front
- mini reviews (under 750 words) of books published in the past six months (query first) — if you would like to write a monthly book review, let us know in your query
- short interviews with authors, artists, musicians, entrepreneurs, or other cool people — you must be able to provide a photo of the interview subject (query first)
Book reviews must offer an opinion on a work that is “restless,” “reckless,” “wild” or “untamed” in some way, or explain the book’s failure to follow through on the promise of one of these qualities (but don’t be mean about it). Please include publisher and publication date in your query. Interviews must offer a conversation with a person who embodies these qualities or has produced a work that embodies these qualities.
Postcards should be mailed to Wild Age Press at PO Box 6665, Pittsburgh, PA 15212. We will scan our favorite postcards and publish them in our e-zine. If you would like your postcard returned, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage. Please include an email address for a reply.
We are now accepting submissions exclusively through Submittable (with the exception of postcard lit). Any submissions emailed or mailed to us will be discarded unread.
A brief cover letter containing a bio and the genre of your submission is helpful. Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please withdraw your piece immediately using Submittable if it is accepted elsewhere (and congratulations!). Multiple submissions are NOT okay. Please wait to hear back from us before submitting more work.
We will do our best to respond to submissions within one month. If you haven’t heard from us after a month, you may query editor [at] wildagepress.com on the status of your submission.